free forum

Share | 

Thought I would share this with some of you young riders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iride

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Thought I would share this with some of you young riders   Thu May 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Just something for us "old guys" to ponder
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1>

================================================== =======
The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, he was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let him know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift. I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the bulging middle. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my father!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that new motorcycle that I didn't really need, but that looks & feels so good when I test drove it. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging. Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will ride by myself, or along with friends, listen to those wonderful tunes of the 50&60's, and if I, at some time, I wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will ride my motorcycle in a riding suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will plan my trips with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances I get from the jet set in the parking lot. They, too, will get old. Heck, I know I am sometimes forgetful, they don't have to remind me of that. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things, like changing the oil and checking the tire pressures.

Sure, over the years I have felt hurt. How can your heart not break when you lose a buddy or a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But life's hurts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver. As you get older, I guess that it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself much anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer the original question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

And I shall eat dessert and ride my motorcycle every single day. (If I feel like it)
Back to top Go down
Road Dog

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share this with some of you young riders   Fri May 09, 2008 10:34 am

Getting old has been a very freeing this from me as well. But the best thing is that now I can afford all the toys that I wanted when I was younger but couldn't get because of money!
Back to top Go down
Mel

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: getting older   Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 am

I am not going to say Old but instead getting older. I am not as fortunate as Screaming Eagle I can't afford all the toys I want but am at a comfortable stage where I don't have to worry about how to pay the bills. But if Gas keeps going up and everything along with it I might!!!!!
One good thing I can say about getting older is all the wisdom I have acquired along the way and leaning the importance of family and friends over everything material in this world. And thereís just something about getting older that there is more calm and peace in my life ( I donít sweat the small stuff like when I was Young). Just sure wish my Body didnít act older. Sad
Mel Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought I would share this with some of you young riders   

Back to top Go down

Thought I would share this with some of you young riders
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1